Description of Audition Process
Applicants will be given the expectations and procedures for a professional dance class environment and be expected to implement and apply the given expectations as a part of the audition process.
Dance applicants will participate in a movement experience to determine the students’ potential for success in a Dance program. Students will be evaluated on their ability to perform given movements, create movement, and demonstrate the aptitude necessary for success in a rigorous Dance program. Candidates for dance will demonstrate their interest, ability, and talent at the audition through the following activities:
Applicants will be evaluated for their ability to perform movement sequences as demonstrated by the instructor both in the center floor as a larger group and traveling across the floor in smaller groups. Applicants will also be evaluated on their ability to apply corrections/feedback when given by the instructor. Movement sequences will have one or more of the following concentrations:
- Coordination of upper/lower body
- Rotation/mobility of the hip
- Use of weight, plié, and gravity
- Alignment and mobility of the spine
- Head-tail connection in floorwork
- Ability to propel the center of gravity through space
- Ability to transfer weight
- Ability to demonstrate balance/control
- Ability to elevate/jump
- Line/extension/range of motion
- Musicality and rhythmic organization
- Performance quality/artistic expression
- Ability to sequence movement through a given combination
Applicants will be given a list of adjectives and action words to use in constructing a composition they create on their own and in constructing a composition that is structured in collaboration with others. Each applicant will be judged on his/her ability to answer the task, to demonstrate creative potential, and to project during the performance.
Applicants will be given a one-on-one opportunity to verbally articulate their interest in the dance program. They will be evaluated on their expression of interest.
Dance Audition Evaluation Components
|Evaluation Component||Point Values|
|Movement Experience||60 pts|
|Structured Response||15 pts|