Students eligible to apply to the program must meet the following qualifications:
- Both the student and parent/guardian must be current residents of Charles County.
- The student must be currently enrolled (SY 2023-24) as an 8th grader in a Charles County Public Schools middle school, a private school, or is homeschooled.
ON-LINE APPLICATION DEADLINE: Jan. 19, 2024
- Step 1 (now): Student completes the online application with all required information including a 30 second video that best showcases the applicant's talent (it can be original choreography).
- Step 2 (now): Student AND Parent electronically sign the online application.
- Step 3 (Nov. 6, 2023): Student and Parent may attend an informational meeting at Maurice J. McDonough High School on November 6, 2023 at 6 p.m.
- Step 4 (Jan. 20, 2024): Auditions at Maurice J. McDonough High School on Jan. 20, 2024, 9 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
Admission decisions are made based on the following criteria:
- 70% Student Assessment, based on potential not previous experience
- 15% Academic performance in sixth and seventh grade, as it relates to the program of choice
- 10% Application questions and video
- 5% Middle School Attendance - sixth and seventh grade
In February 2024, letters of acceptance will be mailed. The letter of acceptance will contain an acceptance/decline agreement. Within two weeks of receipt, the acceptance/decline agreement must be signed and returned. If the acceptance agreement is not received within two weeks, Maurice J. McDonough High School will consider the acceptance as declined by the parent and the student.
Students who are accepted will attend Maurice J. McDonough High School at the start of the 2024-25 school year. Transportation will be provided by CCPS. If the student decides to drop the program and/or fail any of the program courses, he/she will be withdrawn from the program and McDonough High School at the conclusion of the school year. The student will be required to enroll in their zoned high school for the next school year.
Special note for non-CCPS students: If accepted, the parent will need to register their student in Charles County Public Schools which includes submitting two proofs of legal Charles County residency.